Friday, April 9, 2010

The Power of Home

Home is one of those places that often conjures up thoughts of comfort, warmth, safety, and joy.


I've always lived in a newer tract home, you know, the plain kind that lacks individuality. It doesn't have the character found in the lines and details of a Victorian, a Craftsman, or even a Mid Century Modern.


So when I make representations of home, whether it is in ceramic or fabric, the depictions are literal like these pillows.


I like those renditions of home but they're so literal. So now I'm thinking about creating some ceramics that evoke the feelings of home but don't necessarily have a traditional house shape. Here's the beginnings of a piece that is currently in the forming stage.


My intention is to represent the ideas and feelings of home like softness and containment. I plan to fill the holes with soft textiles that entice the viewer to become more intimate with the piece through touch. My goal is to evoke feelings of peace or pleasure in the viewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment